Daggers Shield/Coat of Arms/Logo

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
McLeansvilleAppFan

Can someone explain all the symbolism of the Daggers shield (or is this a coat of arms?)

Where does 1881 come from? I was digging around the Football Club History Database and the earliest date for an antecedent team (Ilford) was 1894?

:new:
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.
Paul@Pittsburgh

The original Ilford club was founded in 1881.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilford_F.C.
rebeldagger

I believe the tree shown in the lower quadrant comes from what was the crest of The London Borough of Redbridge, whereas the other parts of the DRFC crest come from the crest for Dagenham town.

I think the keys and dagger symbol is a reference to St Peter and St Paul. I could be wrong here and it may have a different meaning in this case.

The river Thames is also represented by the blue waves.

And as for the red birds.....I don't know, would be nice to find out and perhaps our mascot should be a red bird?

In addition....

I found this article, nicely explains it

https://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldryw ... e=Dagenham

And for good measure the link to Redbridge

https://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldryw ... /Redbridge
McLeansvilleAppFan

This is perfect. Thanks!
rebeldagger

You're welcome.

I like the fact that our crest has local historical meaning to it and it's good that this is recognised by the owners.
McLeansvilleAppFan

Is this a fairly recent change in the crest or does it go back to 1992?

I know the owner of the Daggers also owns the Memphis team on my side of the Atlantic but I am not sure when those teams were purchased and if that was the time a change in the Daggers crest came about or if the Daggers crest has been the same since 1992.

Anyway to find the crests of the antecedent teams?
McLeansvilleAppFan

Is the Dagenham motto a bit of a thumbing their nose at the upper class of English society or am I reading a bit too much into it?
rebeldagger

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:59 pm Is this a fairly recent change in the crest or does it go back to 1992?

I know the owner of the Daggers also owns the Memphis team on my side of the Atlantic but I am not sure when those teams were purchased and if that was the time a change in the Daggers crest came about or if the Daggers crest has been the same since 1992.

Anyway to find the crests of the antecedent teams?

The crest in use now is a more modernised and somewhat cleaner version of the crest used from 1992, and before that used by Dagenham FC (although without the Tree which was taken from Redbridge when the teams merged)

Sometime in the 2010s our logo changed, there is much history about it buried deep within this forum, yet safe to say it wasn't as popular as the club may have hoped, also it coincided with a few poor seasons on the pitch.

Then, when Craig, Peter and Tim with Trinity Sport Holdings one of the first things they did was to revert our crest back to what it was in a very popular move, albeit in a more modern and cleaner version that is clearer and easier to see / read.

Yet it should be said that Peter and Craig have both publicly said how much they like the circular crest with the daggers and it still is in use in select merchandise and corporate papers.

As for the older teams, wikipedia may be helpful, or there may be some on here that would have a better idea, they may be local archives or possibly even national ones that are on line ?
rebeldagger

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:48 pm Is the Dagenham motto a bit of a thumbing their nose at the upper class of English society or am I reading a bit too much into it?
I may have to hand in my season ticket at this stage, as to be honest I don't know what our motto is!

I've looked at the website, a recent matchday progamme and even on my season ticket as I can't see any motto? Any on here have an idea?
McLeansvilleAppFan

rebeldagger wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:53 am
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:48 pm Is the Dagenham motto a bit of a thumbing their nose at the upper class of English society or am I reading a bit too much into it?
I may have to hand in my season ticket at this stage, as to be honest I don't know what our motto is!

I've looked at the website, a recent matchday progamme and even on my season ticket as I can't see any motto? Any on here have an idea?
Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the motto from the website mentioned above https://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldryw ... =Dagenham and the motto for the Borough of Dagenham - "Judge Us By Our Deeds." It comes across, to me, as someone tired of being judged by the social class they are in and not the quality of person they are and the lives they are living.
rebeldagger

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:02 am
rebeldagger wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:53 am

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the motto from the website mentioned above https://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldryw ... =Dagenham and the motto for the Borough of Dagenham - "Judge Us By Our Deeds." It comes across, to me, as someone tired of being judged by the social class they are in and not the quality of person they are and the lives they are living.

Ah I see now, and yea you've more or less got it in one there as Dagenham is very much, or at least was, an industrial and working class area.

Yet, to be honest, I'm not sure many people were / are even aware of this motto or would pay much attention to it.