Grimsby

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
EssexDagger!

Just goes to show we don’t need McCallum to get a result against one of the better sides in the division and probably better off using his wage on Top Quality commanding centre off.
Was nice to have some movement up top (Akanbi) a right handful for the oppo’s defence all afternoon, stretching and dragging their back line all over.

Also nice to see all the lads have Vilhete’s back after that disgraceful tackle from that dirty tw@t McAtee , results may not been great lately but shows a togetherness within the squad.
Diggerthedog

That’s more like it, play some good football but also done the ugly stuff. Should have been more comfortable but 3 points before this 3 week league break was vital. Team picked itself today, perhaps done the manager a favour.

No doubting we play some really good football, shame we can’t defend or we would be near the top all a little bit frustrating isn’t it.
Dagdale

Boys done a good job out there today their attitude and the way they controlled this game was spot on. Today was like watching a daggers team where every player was running a star performance, some excellent goals scored even their second, our two wingers were excellent and to quick for them to control and makes you wonder if we did have the full squad available last few weeks just where would we have been? Only thing that bought it down a bit was that diabolical tackle and a deserved red card
SUSSEX DAGGER

RayleighDagger1986 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:27 pm
Pondfield Dagger wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:34 pm Great result, strange how bolanta always seems to shine when mccullum doesnt play lol.
I dont think Balanta and McCullum play well together.
Saying that, our best spell earlier on the season coincides with Balanta being injured.
Mmmmm interesting . Now with all our Strikers out do we use the Trophy game to blood somebody to pair with Balanta to play against Aldershot , a game that trialist D camt play in. Never rains it pours don't it .
Any thoughts
Diggerthedog

All out strikers are out? Akanbi now injured? McMahon said everyone bar McCallum and Clarke should be fit for the trophy match, but we all know that’s never going to happen.
DaggerJoel11

So pleased with yesterday. Our recent issues were epitomised by the fact we bossed the first half but got pegged back with their only real opportunity - however the response was superb. I expected us to crumble in the second half and for five or so minutes we rode our luck, then came the two quick-fire goals to put us back in control again.

From that point we should have had a less nervier ending than the one that eventually ensued, especially after the red card, but 3 points is all that matters. Akanbi was absolutely superb.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
NBDag

Now that was more like it. Really good performance from everyone. Was going to highlight special mentions but I ended up writing everyone’s name aside from Justham who didn’t have too much to deal with!

I think until Walker is back Akanbi has to start over either Balanta or McCallum. Both are good players but when they’re together we just have no energy and movement up top and really don’t compliment each other. His goal was really well taken too.

What’s frustrating however is that despite dominating we still had 2 moments where we just completely fell asleep. It’s not just the defence, but the midfield too and it really needs to be addressed.

Also how great was it to finally have a ref and lino on our side? Justham and Ling played him brilliantly to go so long without bookings for their time wasting, and as for Balanta’s goal… Well I think the lino not only needs to take a trip to specsavers, but maybe one or two visits to Fitness First too!
SUSSEX DAGGER

Diggerthedog wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:31 am All out strikers are out? Akanbi now injured? McMahon said everyone bar McCallum and Clarke should be fit for the trophy match, but we all know that’s never going to happen.
He can't play against Aldershot so let's hope we at least have an option fit. The Trophy game is an ideal opportunity to get minutes into legs and I for one are not that interested in the result if it saves a purpose
Diggerthedog

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:03 pm
Diggerthedog wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:31 am All out strikers are out? Akanbi now injured? McMahon said everyone bar McCallum and Clarke should be fit for the trophy match, but we all know that’s never going to happen.
He can't play against Aldershot so let's hope we at least have an option fit. The Trophy game is an ideal opportunity to get minutes into legs and I for one are not that interested in the result if it saves a purpose
Ah yeah forgot about! Hopefully one or two will be back by then, might even see Morais before the end of the year but with Shipman back probably not.
Dag82

EssexDagger! wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:03 pm Just goes to show we don’t need McCallum to get a result against one of the better sides in the division and probably better off using his wage on Top Quality commanding centre off.
Was nice to have some movement up top (Akanbi) a right handful for the oppo’s defence all afternoon, stretching and dragging their back line all over.

Also nice to see all the lads have Vilhete’s back after that disgraceful tackle from that dirty tw@t McAtee , results may not been great lately but shows a togetherness within the squad.
Akanbi should start every game, in front of McCallum, the difference having someone up top, who is prepared to run, even chasing lost causes, is obvious to see.

Also for once, we had the ball actually sticking up front, instead of just coming straight back all the time, as he knows how to actually hold it up there, and give the opposition defenders a tough afternoon.

He is just what we have been missing, and they need to get him here on a permanent deal.

Fingers crossed, they might actually manage to make a wise decision, on at least one player.....
SUSSEX DAGGER

Dag82 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:46 pm
EssexDagger! wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:03 pm Just goes to show we don’t need McCallum to get a result against one of the better sides in the division and probably better off using his wage on Top Quality commanding centre off.

Akanbi should start every game, in front of McCallum, the difference having someone up top, who is prepared to run, even chasing lost causes, is obvious to see.

Also for once, we had the ball actually sticking up front, instead of just coming straight back all the time, as he knows how to actually hold it up there, and give the opposition defenders a tough afternoon.

He is just what we have been missing, and they need to get him here on a permanent deal.

Fingers crossed, they might actually manage to make a wise decision, on at least one player.....
Think that what they saw in Moralas Dag
themightydagger

Going to go against the grain here with the McCallum/Angelo business. When Daryl signed McCallum and asked him who he would want to bring here, without hesitation he said Josh Walker. We have been a better side with Walker/McCallum than with Balanta.

Balanta does sometimes hinder performances and he probably is just a great NL, player but not much more. The Walker, McCallum combo was much more effective for us without Balanta in the side. We cant play all 3 if they're all fit. For me its PMC/JW as the desired duo up top.
Pablo

I don't think Balanta has ever been or sees himself as an out an out striker but he is a fine forward playing behind the front two so based on what i've seen this season I would play Balanta behind Akinbi and Walker and forget about MacCullum - particularly if we get a new centre half.
len

I agree that we were at our best early on in the season when Balanta was injured and Walker came in. I think with Balanta he has got some silky skills that look good at this level but when not playing well is somewhat languid in style and does not offer too much to the team, also that McCallum when not scoring does not pressure the defenders enough and therefore appears quite lazy. That's why I believe Walker is so important to our team because apart from scoring goals has so much energy.
I also think that when the manager says that McCallum and Balanta are the two best number 9 and 10 in the league and probably our two highest paid players in the team It's also a gimme that he plays both of them together which has not worked a lot recently.
Diggerthedog

McCallum has a goal almost every other game since he’s been here, not a bad record but problem with him and Walker is you can’t rely on Walker to stay fit. Balanta has 8 in 14 this season and is on for his best season with us so far. Good headache for the manager to have once all are fit as all are capable of getting 20+ goals a season.

But we all know the problems are not up top regardless who plays.