Grimsby Town (A)

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DaggerJoel11

Massive game today as three points guarantees a place back in the play-offs regardless of what happens elsewhere due to Boreham Wood not being in action. Let's hope we turn up during what could be a hugely consequential afternoon for our season.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
EssexDagger!

Looks like we are bottling another chance to move up into the Play Off spots, seems like every time we have a good result and back in contention of the top 7, We bottle it!!

20 mins to pull it back
SUSSEX DAGGER

Must be heading towards 2 dozen goals conceaded from restarts , thought we would solve that problem with Manny coming back but Dozy sits hom on the bench.

Unbelievable jeff.

We are going nowhere this season and we are going nowhere next season with a defence who can't do the basics and will be allowed to continue to carry on because the Manager can't see what Stevie Wonder could.

Time to go Daryl because we don't play teams like Eastleigh every week
EssexDagger!

Doesn’t help that one of our 3 centre halves is in the side because of his ability at taking set pieces rather than his actual defending.
Don’t get me wrong, he has a wand of a delivery in the opponent’s box, but I’m of the belief that defenders should be able to defend first and foremost and IMO that’s what Manny does best.
Why the hell is he still sitting on our bench.
Dag82

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:47 pm Must be heading towards 2 dozen goals conceaded from restarts , thought we would solve that problem with Manny coming back but Dozy sits hom on the bench.

Unbelievable jeff.

We are going nowhere this season and we are going nowhere next season with a defence who can't do the basics and will be allowed to continue to carry on because the Manager can't see what Stevie Wonder could.

Time to go Daryl because we don't play teams like Eastleigh every week
Yep, I bet Mr Freund is delighted that he spends money on getting Onariase back in the building, just in time for a late play off push, and the genius manager leaves him on the bench for both must win games, against Notts & Grimsby, leading to Zero points, and it really is all over now.

ABSOLUTE JOKE.
RM1Dagger

EssexDagger! wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:21 pm Doesn’t help that one of our 3 centre halves is in the side because of his ability at taking set pieces rather than his actual defending.
Don’t get me wrong, he has a wand of a delivery in the opponent’s box, but I’m of the belief that defenders should be able to defend first and foremost and IMO that’s what Manny does best.
EssexDagger! wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:21 pm Doesn’t help that one of our 3 centre halves is in the side because of his ability at taking set pieces rather than his actual defending.
I'm not really having that. I think Wright is probably our most improved player in this season and is turning into a pretty decent player. And most of the people I talk to think the same.
Now the SE27 Dagger
RayleighDagger1986

Could the issue with the defence not necessarily down to the individuals but could the problem stem from playing three at the back.
Would things improve if we played Wright and Johnson at full backs and Reynolds and Manny at centre half?
EssexDagger!

RM1Dagger wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:22 pm
I'm not really having that. I think Wright is probably our most improved player in this season and is turning into a pretty decent player. And most of the people I talk to think the same.
I don’t think his a bad player, I think his a bad defender and as somebody mentioned below, think he would be better suited at wing back.
Don’t think his good enough positionally as a centre half or in the air.
RayleighDagger1986

So, EssexDagget1......
With the current squad, how would you line up the team for the next game?
Would you still go along with 3.4.1.2 as Daryl seems to prefer or change it to another formation. Instead of Wright, who would be at the back? Do you not think Reynolds or Johnson are weaker as centre backs than Wright.
SUSSEX DAGGER

RayleighDagger1986 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:53 pm Could the issue with the defence not necessarily down to the individuals but could the problem stem from playing three at the back.
Would things improve if we played Wright and Johnson at full backs and Reynolds and Manny at centre half?
Agree I would have Will and Manny with Johnson at full back in a four and go and look for another full back. My preferred was Jones and Manny with Wright and Johnson at full backs but that's ship looks like it sailed.
If we don't accept we have a fundamental weakness in this vital area and it needs addressing then we are going nowhere soon.

The old adage of not changing a winning team was blown away by Notts County,yet again our weakness to defend restarts was exposed yet again for the first goal
EssexDagger!

RayleighDagger1986 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:23 pm So, EssexDagget1......
Would you still go along with 3.4.1.2 as Daryl seems to prefer or change it to another formation. Instead of Wright, who would be at the back? Do you not think Reynolds or Johnson are weaker as centre backs than Wright.
Yes Rayleigh, I think Reynolds and EJ are both better defensively than Wright. I can’t comment on individual performances for todays game as unfortunately I couldn’t make the trip up to Grimsby.
but answering your question.. after playing 35 games already this season with this formation, id stick with 3 at the back with the wingbacks and 3 Central midfielders as I don’t think our current Midfield players are good enough to dominate a game with only 2 of them in the middle of the park. I’d also leave out Balanta.

I’d go for

Justham

RWB - Wright (Switching throughout with westy)
CB - Johnson
CB - Onariase
CB - Reynolds
LWB - Weston

CM - Comley
CM- Robbo
CM- Sagaf

CF- Morias
CF - Macca
EssexDagger!

EssexDagger! wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:59 pm

Yes Rayleigh, I think Reynolds and EJ are both better defensively than Wright. I can’t comment on individual performances for todays game as unfortunately I couldn’t make the trip up to Grimsby.
but answering your question.. after playing 35 games already this season with this formation, id stick with 3 at the back with the wingbacks and 3 Central midfielders as I don’t think our current Midfield players are good enough to dominate a game with only 2 of them in the middle of the park. I’d also leave out Balanta.

I’d go for

Justham

CB - Johnson
CB - Onariase
CB - Reynolds
LWB - Weston

CM - Comley
CM- Robbo
CM- Sagaf

CF- Morias
CF - Macca
Then hopefully with a few summer additions, I’d revert back to a back 4
Diggerthedog

Once again we come up against a half decent side and fail miserably, we had one shot on target the goal and that was it. Pathetic. Dreadful defending for both goals and they should have had a third from a short pass back except for a howling miss from them.

How the manager can say we were in that game is somewhat laughable but he has to talk it up to make it look a close game, we didn’t deserve that goal it was truly awful to watch no ideas. The manager claims we have come far, I think we’re actually worse than last season but no doubt the board won’t agree with me and offer him a 20 year deal because we beat Eastleigh 1-0.

Season was over a long time ago, even now they talk about the play offs in these post match interviews, the club top to bottom is fcuking deluded and only the fans can see the reality of how bad it is and that is we won’t make play offs this, next or any season this fraudster is in charge. Trouble is we won’t sack him, spineless club.
RayleighDagger1986

EssexDagger! wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:01 pm
EssexDagger! wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:59 pm

I’d go for

Justham

CB - Johnson
CB - Onariase
CB - Reynolds
LWB - Weston

CM - Comley
CM- Robbo
CM- Sagaf

CF- Morias
CF - Macca
Then hopefully with a few summer additions, I’d revert back to a back 4
Thanks EssexDagger. I sort of understand where you coming from. Its interesting how each and everyone one of us sees players differently. Some see, like myself a decent player in Wright and I think he's done well at that job. Its obviously a position that Clark couldn't establish, so based on the squad, Wright deserves to be in the team. Some have said on here, why is a defender taking corners and free kicks? Well let's take the view of Trippier (Newcastle). He's a full back and takes freekicks and corners for both club n country. No one criticises him or the manager for giving him that responsibility. If he's the best on the pitch, let him do it, and I think thats how McMahon sees it. Who else can deliver corners/freekicks better than Wright? I would suggest that is something the club should look into with our next recruitment phase, another player capable of delivering set pieces. Preferably a midfielder!
RM1Dagger

Wright has had a good season, period.
Now the SE27 Dagger