Balanta

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Danamite

Hi guys what's happened to Angelo Balanta he come back from injury and then disappeared again. Has he got another injury or juat not making the squad ?
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Out for the season hamstring tear. In the programme today
Diggerthedog

Danamite wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:21 pm Hi guys what's happened to Angelo Balanta he come back from injury and then disappeared again. Has he got another injury or juat not making the squad ?
Spoke to him today, said he would have been fit had we made play offs.
stanton101

Get shot asap.
Wage thief.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

stanton101 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:55 pm Get shot asap.
Wage thief.

Big talk !
Lcbdagger

Serious question but, given the way we play, does he start next season of this squad remained as is with everyone fit?
Mark

Balanta doesn't fit our system at all. The only player he could conceivably replace is McCallum and we'd lose the longer option and our best defender of set pieces if we did that. We've seen Daryl try to shoe horn him into random positions but it doesn't work at all.
Diggerthedog

That’s the problem with the manager, plays wingers as wing backs when they can’t defender and full backs as one of the three centre backs. I’m surprised how many players we’ve had to sign during the season to try and make the play offs when in reality the budget at the start of the season should have been more than enough. We extended Angelo’s contract until 2024 so he will be under pressure to use him.
RayleighDagger1986

Mark wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:11 pm Balanta doesn't fit our system at all. The only player he could conceivably replace is McCallum and we'd lose the longer option and our best defender of set pieces if we did that. We've seen Daryl try to shoe horn him into random positions but it doesn't work at all.
I said this earlier in the season when McCallum and Walker played well together, we went on a run and then Balanta's return unbalanced the team and we lost a few. An excellent gifted player but not one fitting our system.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

I think you have to plan with Balanta - at the end of the day he's an injury prone 31 y.o with two years left on an expensive contract - I think he will be hard to push on to somebody else.

So yeah gaffer needs to find a spot for him - with how good Morias has been there's seemingly no spots in the front two
Kevin

Balanta has had at least one & sometimes a few lengthy injuries in every year he has been here.

Whilst he has obvious talent & great technical ability, there is a reason higher-up clubs haven't took him on for any kind of long spell.

Unfortunately we tend to just see glimpses of brilliance, rather than any kind of regular productivity within a season.

Would say potentially an impact sub next season, rather than a shoe-in to start.
Mark

Trouble with Balanta is without games he gets very unfit very quickly. I've heard he barely trains even when 'fit' due to his injury proneness.