The Future.

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Diggerthedog

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:09 pm Is it just the extra wear and tear or does rugby itself rip up a ground. Would a NL club and rugby club do more to a ground than a NL club and women's team that use Victoria Road?

Do any of these multiuse grounds go with artificial turf for this reason? I know the one club late in the season had artificial turf (I can't remember who it was) but that was the only club in the NL from what I could tell.
Rugby on artificial? You would end up down a burns unit.
McLeansvilleAppFan

Diggerthedog wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:21 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:09 pm Is it just the extra wear and tear or does rugby itself rip up a ground. Would a NL club and rugby club do more to a ground than a NL club and women's team that use Victoria Road?

Do any of these multiuse grounds go with artificial turf for this reason? I know the one club late in the season had artificial turf (I can't remember who it was) but that was the only club in the NL from what I could tell.
Rugby on artificial? You would end up down a burns unit.
True, we do cover up more of the body over here with gridiron football than rugby. I was not thinking of all the carpet burns.

We have very little rugby on TV here but I did a quick Wikipedia search of the Major League Rugby teams and 2 clubs seem to be using grounds with some sort of artificial turf. Not sure if a different kit is used or not for more body coverage. I assume not with this being rugby. There are some artificial turfs that are very grass like in their feel but I am not sure what these two stadiums have in the Major League Rugby. They are both used for some lower levels of association football here in the US and that may dictate the type of turf used.
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.
hockley dagger

Rugby is played on artificial pitches. I think Saracens and Widnes (RL) use them, for example. London Broncos RL used an artificial surface at Ealing Trailfinders RU club, including their 2019 season in super league and London Skolars have an artificial pitch at White Hart Lane sports centre. The ball bounces a little differently but you get a fast running game, certainly in RL. (I don't really follow union so can't comment on how the surface impacts that game). A big advantage, (apart from far fewer weather postponements) is that teams train on the pitch they play on. The downside is having to train on grass for most away games. It does also mean you can have more than one match per day. Broncos youth team used to kick off at lunch time before the main event at 15.00 which made for quite a good day, especially as you can have a beer whilst watching the game.