Squad for 22/23

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
RM1Dagger

I liked Wright, much improved and in my top 3. Not saying he was perfect but always gave it his best too. All the best to him.
Now the SE27 Dagger
Alan

Wright is a good player, but he isn’t a good defender. We didn’t score huge numbers of goals from set pieces, indeed one might argue that a tall centre half taking corners for a team lacking in height reduces the chance of scoring?

It’s a lot easier to win games/points if your defence keeps clean sheets. Our defence has leaked so many soft goals and our best defender at set pieces is a striker.

No team in the top 10 conceded more goals than us. We lost 15 games - of the top 10 only Grimsby (13) lost more than 10.

We scored 31 more goals than Boreham Wood, yet finished only 6 points ahead of them.

We need a beast of a defender.
Last edited by Alan on Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
NBDag

I agree. I definitely would have liked Wright to stay on as having a centre half that plays how he does is entertaining, and he does give us something different when we are on the ball. But ultimately I’d rather have 3 absolute trees at the back and then leave the creative work to Westy and our midfield. I can also only recall Wright scoring 2 free kicks (and that corner) last season. That’s easy enough for us to offset through goals prevented with a top quality quality defender. Here’s to hoping that DM can spot one, right now the track record says otherwise…
Blackie645

Wright has signed for Gillingham
RayleighDagger1986

Old news Blackie645
stanton101

Wright was never a centre half, he was played out of position for the entire season by an oaf of a manager who couldn't see the wood for the trees.
Good luck Will in MIDFIELD for Gillingham.
Blackie645

I'm always late for everything. Lol
Diggerthedog

stanton101 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:18 am Wright was never a centre half, he was played out of position for the entire season by an oaf of a manager who couldn't see the wood for the trees.
Best tell the Gillingham manager that as he’s been signed as a defender.

Hearing Reynolds is off to Maidstone.
Mark

Does he need a lift?
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Diggerthedog wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:50 am
stanton101 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:18 am Wright was never a centre half, he was played out of position for the entire season by an oaf of a manager who couldn't see the wood for the trees.
Best tell the Gillingham manager that as he’s been signed as a defender.

Hearing Reynolds is off to Maidstone.
Wow, really ? It seems like opinion is really split on him - wonder if they will spend a few quid on players now they’ve come up
Diggerthedog

Our defence is what cost us so him leaving is no loss same with Wright. Hopefully the replacements are decent and have some height and muscle.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Really Stanton my lord you are a very forgiving soul. He had a go in midfield for us and was to my mind a disaster.

That day at Harogate is the day I gave it up for him in midfield. A performance that was capped by fly kicking a tap in on the goal line . Lucky for us Wilkinson was following up .

Proved far better in defence but we never got at least a chance to get out this League because of that defence.

Also despite taking all the free kicks and corners 12 assists In two years is a pretty poor return

As Mark said earlier in this thread we need defenders if we have any chance to get out this League, admittedly Will Wright was one I would have kept with Manny . who by the way in my opinion is nowhere near the Player we sold to Scunthorpe. The rest I would have binned Including Johnson who I can't for the life of me see what he did to earn a new deal unless he agreed yo play for free
Mark

Johnson has grown on me a lot. I thought he was pretty horrendous for the first few months of his time here but he has settled in at LCB. He gives us some balance bringing the ball forward as he's a lefty, and he is competitive. He does lack a bit of pace and size but generally makes up for it with positioning.

Manny hasn't hit the heights yet really altho he had 2 very good games towards the end. He seems like a real confidence player and I'm sure he'll be back to his best next season.
Danamite

Anyone no of any names we've been linked too yet ?
Diggerthedog

Heard very little rumours compared to last season but I don’t think we have the same player turnover. Some decent wages have left so let’s hope it’s spent correctly and not consistently buying throughout next season.

Strizovic has just be confirmed for another 2 years.

Agree with Mark about Johnson, prior to Manny coming back he was our best defender had Wright had the same defensive brain I would have been disappointed with him leaving.