New Manager

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Diggerthedog

Despite the usual delay as we all know it’s coming it’s just that the board haven’t worked it out yet, who do we think could be in with a shout?

Garrard at BW
Ben Strevens
John Still
Darren Currie

My choice would be Dennis Kutrieb at Ebbsfleet, doing a great job.
Daggerman

Garrard or Strevens, one knows what it needs to be a Dagger the other is proven at this level.
Still could most probably do a job here but only until he’s offered an extra £1 to go elsewhere (even though this is his club)
Curry… no thanks
Mark

None of them fill me with any confidence tbh.
NBDag

Garrard is the obvious choice for me, and we should pay whatever it takes to get him. Strevs I would be cautiously optimistic about, but I was once cautiously optimistic about McMahon…

Still and Currie would obviously be who it ends up being, however. And it’s so very frustrating to see.

Paul Tisdale is also available and has been setting up shop in the south east recently, I could sort of see that happening. But I think getting the “Exeter Paul” rather than the one of recent form is far from likely.

But it’s all nonsense talking about it anyway, as our owners won’t sack DM. They haven’t got the guts to.
Pablo

I too think it's time now for somebody else to have a go as manager but there has been a bit of rewriting of history on this forum as I can recall that the majority of the fanbase wanted McMahon and indeed wanted him instead of Garrard. I don't know where or why it's gone wrong given his reasonable track record before joining us but it could be that he has been given too much money to spend ( another increase on the playing budget this year apparently) when previously he had to build teams on relative scraps. I think all the alternative names mentioned must be on the shortlist but on balance would go for Strevens given his connection with the ethos and history of the club and the fact that he got Eastleigh to the play offs against the odds.

I also think the criticism of the owners and Thompson is harsh. The former are great guys and great enthusiasts who have spent big on the playing budget and significantly improving the ground and are more accessible than most club owners even if they are based 5000 + miles away. I would agree though that they probably need a permanent presence in the UK to forge a concrete link between them and the club here. The success of Memphis suggests they can achieve sporting results.

We all know Thommo isn't everyone's cup of tea although again he is always accessible unlike some. He has made mistakes, certainly at the time of Hopkins's departure, but did help save the club by puttingf his own money into it., so, like the owners he obviously cares and cares deeply. Neither Freund nor Thompson pick the team, sign the players or devise the tactics so I'm afraid at the moment the finger points squarely at McMahon who has unquestionably been given the time and resources to do better than he has.

At the same time a further sense of reality is needed. Over the past 10/15 years we have punched above our weight given our average gates and probably still are compared with the Torquays,
Scunthorpes and Oldhams of this world.
Blue Hoops

At John Still has never brought the club down to such an embarrassing level and has passion, disregarding any comments about money. We need someone to steady the ship in the short-term and he is more the capable of doing just that
Diggerthedog

God no, I listed Still as the current board can’t look outside their little black books. If he came back they would be me done.
Blue Hoops

Bye then 🖐
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Trying to not have yet another thread detailed about Still, Strevens really does seem to make a lot of sense. He's had decent results but still has something to prove, he's available, he's young and he knows the club. I don't think he's got quite the track record that some fans would want, but, beggars can't be choosers.

Would be v surprised if the board could coax someone like Garrard to come and manage us, tbh.
Dag82

Pablo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:14 pm I too think it's time now for somebody else to have a go as manager but there has been a bit of rewriting of history on this forum as I can recall that the majority of the fanbase wanted McMahon and indeed wanted him instead of Garrard.
Sorry, but this is absolutely not true, there was a poll at the time, and Garrard won it, McMahon got a few votes along with others.

Garrard is the stand out option, just look at the table again this season, you can't make up stats, there are wright there in black & white:

Played: 11
Lost: 1
Goals Conceded: 9 - Best in the league ( we are 24th)

We don't need a load of new players, we need a manager who can actually put a game plan together, actually get players wanting to go out and give 100% every week, because they believe in what the manager is trying to build.

Keep hearing Strevens mentioned, what has he done ?, how is he any different to what we thought McMahon would be ?, previous record is the same, at best, maybe less.

John Still, not my favourite person, due to the countless times he has walked out on us, but for certain, he would of done better over the last 3 years, with the finances provided, than McMahon has done.

Garrard with Still as the Director Football / Chief Scout, would be a real good combination.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Luke Garrard has been managing boreham wood since 2015, what makes you think that this is the opportunity that he would take ? Presumably he’s had his fair share of offers in the past, why us and why now ?
Mark

Baffles me a bit why so many people think Garrard is the answer.

His finishes in this league are 9th, 14th, 5th, 20th, 4th, 11th and 19th. He has a win percentage of 36.

His teams also bore the absolute tits off everyone. Some of our fans moaned about the way we played under Still but at least we created chances and scored goals. This guy is a whole new level of hoofball.

He isn't doing it on a shoestring either. Ok, maybe not as much cash floating around as we have, but they have a backer and have beaten us to signings in the fairly recent past.

Fwiw, Daryl has finishes of 8th, 12th, 17th (half season), 6th, and 2nd twice in the South. He has a win percentage somewhere around 45% at this level.
Diggerthedog

McMahon has had huge budgets at Ebbsfleet and here, Garrard recruits and sells all his good players almost every season to top up his budget and still manages to get results. McMahon’s recruitment has been nothing short of a joke, couldn’t really name a superb signing since he’s been here Garrard has a game plan, McMahon’s has now caught up with him.

Some great points on here, whilst the club continue to bury their heads in the sand. Pathetic.
SUSSEX DAGGER

NBDag wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:30 am Garrard is the obvious choice for me, and we should pay whatever it takes to get him. Strevs I would be cautiously optimistic about, but I was once cautiously optimistic about McMahon…

Still and Currie would obviously be who it ends up being, however. And it’s so very frustrating to see.

Paul Tisdale is also available and has been setting up shop in the south east recently, I could sort of see that happening. But I think getting the “Exeter Paul” rather than the one of recent form is far from likely.

But it’s all nonsense talking about it anyway, as our owners won’t sack DM. They haven’t got the guts to.
McMahon was the obvious choice for so many not long ago .
Pablo

Sad fella that I am I've looked through the archives on this forum and went back to Jan 3rd 2020 and overwhelmingly McMahon was supported. Here are some verbatim quotes - 'Over the moon with Daryl' - 'Well done the Board - praise where praise is due' - 'The most forward thinking manager since Gary Hill' - 'Really super appointment' and I could go on. Check it out yourselves. Some of the comments are attributable to those most critical of the Board now.

As I said a re- writing of history.