Mickey Spillane

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

Although I thought he was a flash bastard who ponced about too much on the ball he wasn't any worse than some of what we have had to endure since his departure .He's without a club as we speak having been released by Cambridge United.He was on loan at Sutton United and he's still only 25.He weren't that bad was he ?
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
matt_drfc

He's at Sutton permanently.
The Romford Dagger

He's 25? Wow.. Thought he's be older
SUSSEX DAGGER

I would have one of him to ten if Batt Arnu as a right back and is certainly better then both Gayle and Saah as a Centre back. Good call, was he not our player of the year until he went into midfield?
ARNU

I read it on here earlier about Bauldry being Stills Ayo or something but Spillane was here at the same time and was just as instrumental in our turn of fate back then.Bit flash but well worth a chase up I think.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
The Romford Dagger

ARNU wrote:I read it on here earlier about Bauldry being Stills Ayo or something but Spillane was here at the same time and was just as instrumental in our turn of fate back then.Bit flash but well worth a chase up I think.

I get the sense Wayne wants his own team and not players who were originally stills imports.
Richie

Was a big fan of Mickey. Would have him back for sure.
hockley dagger

A good centre half who really made a difference that season in shoring up the defence. Not so sure about him in midfield.

I always wondered if his departure triggered John Still's departure. We'd just sold Gayle but couldn't afford to keep Spillane who went to Southend. You could understand taking biggish money for Gayle but how frustrating that you couldn't use some of it on a good league 2 player?
Adrian

He was released by Cambridge over a year a go, and didn't play for them that much. Given the success of the last player we signed after they'd been released by Cambridge, I'd say it's a good indicator that we should go nowhere near him.

He was a show pony that thought he was better than he was. He was okay as a centre back, except that he'd try to do too much on the edge of his own box. As a midfielder he was poor.
Mikins

I wouldnt mind first season mickey where he came in and bloody grafted, second season when he knew we couldnt carry his wages and started showboating for a transfer put a lot of people off him, but if he were genuinely interested in getting his career back on track, getting back in the league and not putting himself in the shop window, i'd certainly have him back.
Sorry about your damn luck!
Lcbdagger

Mikins wrote:I wouldnt mind first season mickey where he came in and bloody grafted, second season when he knew we couldnt carry his wages and started showboating for a transfer put a lot of people off him, but if he were genuinely interested in getting his career back on track, getting back in the league and not putting himself in the shop window, i'd certainly have him back.
Spot on... Having Ayo in the team instead of Saah has shown this season that we don't need a 'show pony' or a Rio Ferdinand who thinks he's a mdfielder in disguise and runs the ball out to the half way line... we need a CB who can header, run, make tackles and clear balls away from our goal either out play or down the pitch... Mickey, bless him, is not what we need

On form he would have been great in team challenging for promotion who aren't often under pressure as he entertained fans but worked hard enough to get the fans onside during a bad game