Most painful 2-0 win ever

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
stanton101

ARNU wrote:We aren't going up this season are we ? We need to win as ugly as possible rather than go down,salvage some sort of respectability and then plan for next season.This is what we say every season I know but its about survival first.Lets face it,we'll be starting from scratch again in August probably lose any remaining decent players and quite possibly be looking at a new manager.Ugly wins are better than draws or losses.
Agreed, for a club of our size survival is an achievement in itself. Like him or not WB is doing what we want at the moment. I don't particularly enjoy his style of play and find some of his tactics baffling, but come the end of the season if we finish above 23rd it will be deemed a success. Personally I would offer the job to cureton next season if he decides to call it a day. At 39 he imo is still a cut above anything we have in our squad, he knows what its like to play waynes way and would definitely change things around to get the best out of those around him. It's a good job the bloke loves football because under this constant hoofball it must be soul destroying.
SUSSEX DAGGER

dagger4eva wrote:Mark, I know the point your saying but my qualm is more with the general entertainment aspect as opposed to our playing 'style' - although perhaps both do go hand in hand.

Whether you are for or against Burnett, I think one thing few people would disagree on is that during his reign, the general matchday fare served up has been dull as dishwater.
I could probably name on one hand the number of games where ive actually been entertained.

As someone has mentioned, the fact that even SUSSEX is now saying how shit it all is should make ppl stand up and take notice.

Dashers also makes a good point about more local away games next season and I think id definitely be inclined to make the effort to go to more of those than renew the home season ticket.

All about opinions I guess
Playing long ball is ok if there is a tempo to the game but I would love somebody to tell me how many of the 90 minutes the ball was actually in play last night .

Once again we conceded so many cheap corners, I counted half a dozen in the first 15 minutes and with our record it just caused anxiety . Wayne keeps saying they work on re-starts but has he and his staff done anything about giving so many away in the first instance? Add in the stupid Free kicks given away in around ten yards from our box and we could have been mugged last night and it would have been all our own doing.

So its not really the tactics, its the way they are applied that aggravates me . Its all stop start and as a result the game has no tempo something that apart from Morecambe appears to have happened far to often
leewilson

stanton101 wrote:
ARNU wrote:We aren't going up this season are we ? We need to win as ugly as possible rather than go down,salvage some sort of respectability and then plan for next season.This is what we say every season I know but its about survival first.Lets face it,we'll be starting from scratch again in August probably lose any remaining decent players and quite possibly be looking at a new manager.Ugly wins are better than draws or losses.
Agreed, for a club of our size survival is an achievement in itself. Like him or not WB is doing what we want at the moment. I don't particularly enjoy his style of play and find some of his tactics baffling, but come the end of the season if we finish above 23rd it will be deemed a success. Personally I would offer the job to cureton next season if he decides to call it a day. At 39 he imo is still a cut above anything we have in our squad, he knows what its like to play waynes way and would definitely change things around to get the best out of those around him. It's a good job the bloke loves football because under this constant hoofball it must be soul destroying.
You can't just give the job to Cureton because he plays football the right way. Wayne was a bit of a player in his day and initially in his reign we were accused of playing too much football if anything.

For me it comes down to your own ideas about the club. For me, I'm a supporter. I'll be there each week. I'm not saying that makes me better than you if you don't turn up. It just depends if you go there for entertainment purposes or out of loyalty. For me, Daggers are my club and I want to cheer them on each week.
dagger4eva

Lee, dont disagree with you in the slightest.

What I would say though is this League 2 & its Dagenham & Redbridge. Its safe to say that any of the what, 1200-1300 supporters we have come mainly through loyalty and coz they have a sense of pride of this being 'their club'. They certainly dont come for the glamour of it!

Thats all well and good and results do largely dictate any positive or negative vibes around the stadium.
We just want a bit of damn entertainment to go with it. I'll take a look later through the games played under WB and I honestly think ill struggle to name 5 where l thought that was a fantastic game of football, and I was buzzing after that.

Theres no doubt Wayne & co have turned it around since the new year, but then id imagine Rod Hull & Emu could have turned that rabble around!!

Its all good fun hey ... :)
SteveW

Jesus this place is depressing. Win, draw or lose you're guaranteed to find someone moaning about something on here.

Right with that (moan) off my chest I'm looking forward to Tranmere on Saturday.
Mike the Dagger

Agreed that the situation we are in now means we have to grind out results, therefore the win on Tuesday was exactly what was requred, and if we can do the same for the next three or four games then great.

But....

The problem is that going to the footie should be about spending your hard earned on a bit of escapism and entertainment after a hard week at the grindstone. It shouldn't actually be more of a chore than the working week. Right now, I can think of half a dozen things I could do with my free time that would be more fun than watching the Daggers. I'm still there most weeks, admittedly, although a couple of times I have not bothered and not actually missed much as a result.

My 17 year old son on the other hand, who was brought up as a Dagger from age 4, I cannot drag to Victoria Road any way at all. He has been a few times this season, and last turned up for the FA Cup game against Southport as it was "a cup game we were bound to win and the FA Cup is always full on". It was dire as we all recall and since then no sign of him. He, and those like him, are the club's future customers and we are, frankly, pushing them away at the moment.

So to sum up, I don't mind us losing. I wouldn't even be that bothered if we were back in the Conference TBH, the Football League is not that special now I have seen it first hand, I do mind us not even trying to entertain or play any kind of football. Daggers have always had a go, pressed, played full on and had a few characters in the side. I just don't see that right now.
stanton101

Lee, I don't doubt your loyalty and if I wasn't a fan I wouldn't be standing freezing my arse off watching us hoofball our way to victory over hartlepool, who incedently ran us ragged for the first 20 minutes by playing the ball on the deck. Against better opposition Wayne needs to be able to adapt to combat this. Since Christmas we've played teams in and around us, the big test is our run in where we play mostly top half teams. I'm not knocking WB, and to me he's doing an ok job. But as already mentioned football is an entertainment business, whether you pay £18 or £80 your entitled to be entertained and most are not at the moment. We made hard work of it the other night, in a swirling wind against a static defence and yet we still played aimless high balls up to jamie which came straight back at us, inviting pressure. As for cureton being appointed manager, well at least we wouldn't have to look to far for a bloke who knows the team and maybe can get the best out of what's at his disposal. Horses for courses I suppose, it's why we're all pundits and wayne isn't. COYD.
Don Beech 3

Get 2 centre midfielders in who can keep the play moving instead of slowing the game down all the time especially against someone like Hartlepool who were there for the taking. Boucard to me almost seems scared of the ball, he does his silly trap of the ball (which takes half a second longer as he rolls his foot over the ball) then will play a square pass or backwards. The one time he did make a run in the 2nd half he looked like he was scared and just ended up running into the defender. Bingham I think has been alright and I would be happy for Abs to replace Boucard even if it means that Batt stays at right back.

Still take the win and see what happens on Saturday
stanton101

Don Beech 3 wrote:Get 2 centre midfielders in who can keep the play moving instead of slowing the game down all the time especially against someone like Hartlepool who were there for the taking. Boucard to me almost seems scared of the ball, he does his silly trap of the ball (which takes half a second longer as he rolls his foot over the ball) then will play a square pass or backwards. The one time he did make a run in the 2nd half he looked like he was scared and just ended up running into the defender. Bingham I think has been alright and I would be happy for Abs to replace Boucard even if it means that Batt stays at right back.

Been saying this fir a while now, swap abs for boucard. The reason billy's been ok is the fact that he's doing boucard's work as well as his own. Not sure about batt though, maybe wayne should have brought in a right back instead of the 700 forwards we have warming their arse on the bench. :|
SUSSEX DAGGER

stanton101 wrote:
Don Beech 3 wrote:Get 2 centre midfielders in who can keep the play moving instead of slowing the game down all the time especially against someone like Hartlepool who were there for the taking. Boucard to me almost seems scared of the ball, he does his silly trap of the ball (which takes half a second longer as he rolls his foot over the ball) then will play a square pass or backwards. The one time he did make a run in the 2nd half he looked like he was scared and just ended up running into the defender. Bingham I think has been alright and I would be happy for Abs to replace Boucard even if it means that Batt stays at right back.

Been saying this fir a while now, swap abs for boucard. The reason billy's been ok is the fact that he's doing boucard's work as well as his own. Not sure about batt though, maybe wayne should have brought in a right back instead of the 700 forwards we have warming their arse on the bench. :|
We don't need to move Abs we have Luke Howell who can go in there. He is going to be another Abs move into a position because of circumstances and done a fabulous job and he will stay there despite his best position being in the middle.
stanton101

I'm confused there sussex, am I right in saying you'd keep abs where he is at RB and move howell in to the middle alongside billy. If that were the case then that would leave howell's right midfield position vacant for whom? Surely not lazy arsed boucard.
Lcbdagger

The problem with our formation currently is that we line up as a 442 but naturally seem to go towards a 433 with the 2nd striker heading out wide and having Howell come in to midfield... I would love to see us play two wingers to have a right sided threat to accompany Hemmings (and to a lesser extent Widdowson who works well with Hemmings), but a 2 man central midfield partnership of Billy and Boucard would get overrun in my opinion by most teams so Howell fitting in where he currently is tends to work
Masked Man

dagger4eva wrote:Work ethic - 8/10
Entertainment - 1/10
Atmosphere - 1/10
Goal from Bingham 9/10
Feeling left in toes 2/10
Decision to bring on Carr for Bingham with 30 seconds left - 0/10

Win was vital - really thought we'd slip up. Luckily Hartlepool were just as bad as their position reflects.

Slowly dragging ourselves clear - but its not pretty.

What he said...