Jodi Jones

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

Im sure his godfather or whatever he is can clarify but rumours floating about last night that we recently declined an offer for the youngster from a lower championship club.

Would hate to see another Dominic Green scenario
Lcbdagger

Fair play if true as at least Green got a move based on a couple of decent league performances... would mean Jones has been on the radar of teams for a while as we haven't even given a first team break really
its all good

There has been interest from other clubs for some time and approaches via agents and so on both to us and I suppose via the club
Even before he signed his scholar deal last June
Jodi still has another year of college and we're keen for him to get a decent education
He's very happy at Daggers and feels appreciated
Although of course he's desperate for game time he is learning every day from training with players like JC, Billy Bingham, Andre Boucard etc.
Jodi was pleased to commit himself to a pro contract last week for these reasons
It's a modest contract with various incentives as you'd expect for such a young player
All players hope to play at the highest possible level but Jodi is fully committed to the club
Of course none of us knows what the future holds but he wants to get his head down and establish himself in the first team as soon as possible
NickMurphy

I'd be absolutely gutted if he left this summer, or maybe even next summer for that matter. He's clearly got a good degree of talent, and with us he WILL get game time whether at the back end of this season or the beginning of next which will in the long term give him a good grounding and aid his development, along with getting a good education which is obviously very important as well. I absolutely hate it when clubs like us get our youngsters picked off and hoovered up by clubs up the league ladder. I'm not as critical of Championship clubs as I think he probably would still develop well as a footballer, but Premier League clubs who stockpile their academy with young talent, thus depriving them of the game time they need to aid their development in the lower leagues, absolutely ruins what a club like our own is about (Or is at least setting about becoming).

Best example is Nick Powell at Crewe. A player who at 18 was absolutely tearing up League Two, clearly had bag-fulls of talent and potential at such a young age and in that very academy based Crewe side of 11/12, was a shining light. From getting games week in week out, he moved to United and has pretty much stalled in his development I'd say. He's been on loan to Wigan and got some good experience there, but even that was after sitting in the reserves for a while if I remember rightly. From where he could and should be now in his footballing development, to where he is, there's a clear disparity for me. I've gone off on a bit of a tangent here, but that's sort of the reason I'd hope we can keep Jodi, and that he would want to stay. Sometimes *though not always*, but in a lot of cases, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I understand that players jump at the chance of moving to a bigger club, a bigger pay packet and all that, because football is obviously quite a short profession, but sometimes it's better to play the long game and actually enjoy playing your football in an environment you're comfortable around rather than moving on relatively quickly when you're still learning your trade.
its all good

NickMurphy wrote:I'd be absolutely gutted if he left this summer, or maybe even next summer for that matter. He's clearly got a good degree of talent, and with us he WILL get game time whether at the back end of this season or the beginning of next which will in the long term give him a good grounding and aid his development, along with getting a good education which is obviously very important as well. I absolutely hate it when clubs like us get our youngsters picked off and hoovered up by clubs up the league ladder. I'm not as critical of Championship clubs as I think he probably would still develop well as a footballer, but Premier League clubs who stockpile their academy with young talent, thus depriving them of the game time they need to aid their development in the lower leagues, absolutely ruins what a club like our own is about (Or is at least setting about becoming).

Best example is Nick Powell at Crewe. A player who at 18 was absolutely tearing up League Two, clearly had bag-fulls of talent and potential at such a young age and in that very academy based Crewe side of 11/12, was a shining light. From getting games week in week out, he moved to United and has pretty much stalled in his development I'd say. He's been on loan to Wigan and got some good experience there, but even that was after sitting in the reserves for a while if I remember rightly. From where he could and should be now in his footballing development, to where he is, there's a clear disparity for me. I've gone off on a bit of a tangent here, but that's sort of the reason I'd hope we can keep Jodi, and that he would want to stay. Sometimes *though not always*, but in a lot of cases, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I understand that players jump at the chance of moving to a bigger club, a bigger pay packet and all that, because football is obviously quite a short profession, but sometimes it's better to play the long game and actually enjoy playing your football in an environment you're comfortable around rather than moving on relatively quickly when you're still learning your trade.
Agree with all this
PaulHornchurch

I'm sure we will see more of Jodi towards the end of this season, especially as with each game our safety is assured.

I guess WB will be asked to try and reduce at least £100k of the wage bill next season, and with a good pre-season behind him, some good work in the gym, I would him to be a regular starter next season.
Auntie Merge

If I knew Jodi Jones would be in the starting line up every game next season, I would renew my season ticket.
ARNU

We seem to have forgotten Bradly Goldberg.We have a history of bigging up these youngsters and it then don't happen.Alex Osborn springs to mind.How we can say Goldberg or Jones are any good based on probably not even 45 mins of 1st team footy each I'll never know.What ive seen of them in esc matches they both look sharp.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
SUSSEX DAGGER

ARNU wrote:We seem to have forgotten Bradly Goldberg.We have a history of bigging up these youngsters and it then don't happen.Alex Osborn springs to mind.How we can say Goldberg or Jones are any good based on probably not even 45 mins stands us of 1st team footy each I'll never know.What ive seen of them in esc matches they both look sharp.
Dumped by Brizzie Rovers who still had to pay the cost of the loan Arnu says all you need to know. Another one the Manager was urged to promote to the team and has proved was not ready .
NickMurphy

ARNU wrote:We seem to have forgotten Bradly Goldberg.We have a history of bigging up these youngsters and it then don't happen.Alex Osborn springs to mind.How we can say Goldberg or Jones are any good based on probably not even 45 mins of 1st team footy each I'll never know.What ive seen of them in esc matches they both look sharp.
Jones is different in fairness, Connors aside he's the first player we've produced from the academy that looks like he has some real talent. I think I was the only one that ever foolishly bigged up Alex Osborn, but it was fairly clear from a relatively early stage that he didn't have "it" as it were, that's needed to make it in the professional game (Good luck to him mind, seemed nice a bloke). It's clear that Jones has talent, kid of his age that has just come off the bench when we're 3-1 down with no fear and attempted something audacious like that shot that on another day, would have flown in the back of the net. There's definitely something about him. Don't mean to keep going on and on about him, but it genuinely excites me that we've produced a player with such potential, especially given some of the utter dross we've seen in the last 4 or so years.