Could WB be on his way.....

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
bearaab

I think he just made some mistakes on his player purchases and they haven't fit into the style he wanted to play, which is why he's been constantly chopping and changing and its been shit. Hopefully he can learn from that and get it right next season, even if it is "hoofball".
Adrian

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:
Adrian wrote:
shoreyda2nd wrote:
Also let's not forget that Wilkinson was shocking whenever he played last season. He wanted to leave and was proving to be no use whatsoever. Can't go blaming Wayne for that one!
I think Wayne can definitely be blamed for Wilkinson going. He doesn't seem to be the only player that didn't want to play for Burnett. As for him being poor, he was being played on the wrong side and was playing with Saah, who has managed to make every other defender he's played for with us struggle. I don't believe for a second that had he got a decent run alongside Doe that he's have been poor.
But he did get a good run the season before and we survived relegation by goal difference.
Last year we played Doe and Saah the majority of season and finished 9th.

It would be fair to say that both had good first seasons but for some reason or another both lost their way in the second season. Always surprised me the Still took Wilkinson but left Doe here.
The season we stayed up on goal difference, we conceded 3 more goals in the league than we did last season when we finished 9th (we also scored a couple more and only had a goal difference that was 1 worse).
I wouldn't say Saah had a good first season, I just think he was massively over-rated by a lot of our supporters. I don't think he was any different this season to last, it's just that some of finally noticed it - possibly because he wasn't having his arse covered quite as much.
Adrian

Mike the Dagger wrote:It's not personal at all, I've never spoken to the man (unlike his three predecessors).

I just don't enjoy watching his football team play much. At least we are winning a few home games recently, and the back to basics style in excused given the dire place we were in around the turn of the year.

The period from his ill advised public rant at the team after beating Wycombe up to the last few games were bloody awful though, with a very few exceptions.

Given a clean sheet to start next seaaon with, I can't see Burnett having any clue how to play with a bit of style and character at Victoria Road based on what has gone before.

So If he stays in charge I will seriously consider not renewing my season ticket and picking the games I want to attend on an ad hoc basis.

Opinions are like a'holes and that is mine.
Very much this. The idea that it's personal is the sort of rubbish I'd expect from some on here.

Personally I'd rather see us relegated while being entertained than watching the dirge I've witnessed for the last year and a bit and see us survive. He was able to bring in a lot of his own players at the start of this season and if anything it got worse as he signed players that weren't even close to those they were supposed to replace.
His best signing by a mile was Cureton, a player that he initially wasn't looking to sign and a that it didn't take a brain surgeon to work out would do a job as long as he was fit. Of the others, Cousins is then head and shoulders above the rest. Boucaud and Hemmings have moments but that's it. But Batt, O'Brien, Labadie and Chambers were and are terrible signings. Green was also a poor signing, not because of his ability but because Burnett clearly didn't have a clue why he signed him.

I went into this season not really expecting it to be much different to last season, and I don't think I was wrong. I don't expect next season to be any different if Burnett is in charge. I've missed a third of home games this season and with those two things combined there's no point in me having a season ticket.
PaulHornchurch

Personally I hope Wayne stays.

We all would like 'better' players, and a winning and entertaining team. But it's always easy to manage from the outside.

We're told the playing budget is £900k, so with 22 players that is a average of just over £40k each. If I'm correct we currently have 28 players with a few out on loan.

I reckon most on here would be happy to earn £40k, but like any profession if someone else offers you £50k, £60k etc you are going there. I also reckon relocation is a big no for many players, due to housing costs, if you are based in other parts of UK.

I reckon the club have already informed WB the wage bill has to be cut, say to £800k, hence his concerns on doing his job in keeping us in the League.

I can see us reducing squad down to 19 with more 'youth' players being brought through, not a bad thing but just makes the job harder.
Lcbdagger

PaulHornchurch wrote:Personally I hope Wayne stays.

We all would like 'better' players, and a winning and entertaining team. But it's always easy to manage from the outside.

We're told the playing budget is £900k, so with 22 players that is a average of just over £40k each. If I'm correct we currently have 28 players with a few out on loan.

I reckon most on here would be happy to earn £40k, but like any profession if someone else offers you £50k, £60k etc you are going there. I also reckon relocation is a big no for many players, due to housing costs, if you are based in other parts of UK.

I reckon the club have already informed WB the wage bill has to be cut, say to £800k, hence his concerns on doing his job in keeping us in the League.

I can see us reducing squad down to 19 with more 'youth' players being brought through, not a bad thing but just makes the job harder.
Depends where the smaller squad and more emphasis on youth takes us... if it keeps us, like this season, making knee jerk reactions to bring in terrible loan signings like Agyemang or bring in players such as Carr who will not get more than 2 or 3 starts before the end of the season then a small squad isn't a killer